I have made this chili for years and it never gets old! Actually, it’s the only chili I make! This chili is REALLY something special. There are some “secret” ingredients that my family loves. You can make this recipe as easy or as complicated as you want! Sometimes I add an onion and fresh garlic, sometimes I add some cooking wine in with the browned beef before adding everything else. You can add whatever two cans of beans that make you happy, my absolute favorite combination is one can of kidney beans and one can of black beans. You can also soak beans overnight and try this recipe that way. Cooking time may be extended to ensure the beans are soft. Make it yours!
Here is a quick time-lapse video, it comes together easily!
Serve with cornbread, tortilla chips, guacamole, sour cream or cheese!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans drained, rinsed
- 1 can black beans drained, rinsed
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt more or less to taste
- 3/4 tsp pepper more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- In a large pan over medium heat, brown ground beef, drain, return to heat.
- Add diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed kidney beans and black beans. Add in garlic, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Stir until well combined. Cover, let simmer over low heat for 20 minutes to let the flavors combine. Enjoy!