Gluten-free, vegan soft pretzels-Part 2
Here is part two of the soft pretzel saga! This will give you choices if you have a gluten-free flour preference. The only difference between this recipe and the recipe in part 1 is the flour! The flour I use in this recipe is different (it has different ingredients) and also has the xanthan gum incorporated. This dough is tasty, no after taste but the dough is a little harder to shape and a little bit chewier than the other recipe in part 1! Try both and pick your favorite :)! The best-looking shape and easiest shape to form for these pretzels are a simple twist.
I used the excess dough to make some “pretzel rolls” I skipped the baking soda bath and added vegan butter, course salt, garlic powder and rosemary on the top. the dough is heavy, but they were tasty warm!
Here is how the heart that I REALLY wanted to make turned out. Not as beautiful as the recipe in part 1!
Some notes about the recipe and making soft pretzels:
- I recommend watching the video. I create some, what I like to call, foil food boats. I made these so the pretzels would hold their shape in the baking soda water bath that is necessary when making soft pretzels. If you find the dough hard to work with, don’t despair! Practice, and find what works best for you. Also, make sure to try different shapes, even simple shapes. What matters most is how they taste.
- I use coarse salt to top the pretzels with, you can also skip this step and brush the with your butter of choice (vegan or dairy) once they are finished baking in the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar!
- These pretzels have so many possibilities for toppings (melted cheese (dairy or non-dairy, marinara, and my favorite mustard!). Be creative and have some fun with them.
Gluten-free, vegan soft pretzels 2
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 1/2 cup Gluten-free flour Separated. I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour.
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp course salt to taste
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups boiling water
- Mix white sugar, instant yeast, and warm water in a medium-sized bowl. Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to bubble.
- In a separate bowl, mix 3 1/4 cup gluten-free flour, white sugar, and salt together. Add dry ingredients into the yeast mixture, mix with a spoon until combined. Add canola oil and honey and mix until combined. Add up to 1/4 cup flour if the dough is too sticky.
- After rising, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 6 sections, or desired amount. Shape dough. Create foil shapes to place the dough into and gently place the dough pretzel into the foil.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in baking soda. Place dough that inside foil shape inside the pot and make sure to submerge the dough for 30 seconds. Remove the foil and dough and make sure to drain off excess water. Place dough on parchment. You may have to flip the dough out of the foil and then flip again to keep desired shape. Sprinkle unbaked dough with desired amount of course salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until dough is lightly browned. Enjoy!